SCUBA Marine Conservation Add-on in Thailand
11 Days, 9 Dives
After joining GIVE’s Laos Volunteer Excursion, travel to the stunning beaches, limestone cliffs, and dense jungles of southern Thailand to get your PADI Open Water Scuba Certification, volunteer on marine conservation projects, scuba dive amongst incredible marine life, and experience some of the best rock climbing in SE Asia! Discover the incredible beauty and biodiversity of Thailand’s coral reefs, while gaining the skills, certifications, and inspiration to help protect these critical ecosystems around the world. Want to travel longer? Our Southeast Asia packages allow you to experience 2 countries and up to 4 unique programs on one unforgettable journey!
Highlights of Thailand SCUBA Add-on
Get your PADI Open Water Certification to dive anywhere in the world for life
Volunteer underwater on coral propagation and reef maintenance projects
Volunteer on land on mangrove and seagrass restoration projects
Scuba dive amongst the incredible marine life of the Andaman Sea
Rock climb on Krabi’s famous limestone cliffs
Why volunteer on marine conservation in Thailand?
The reefs are disappearing
Occupying less than 1% of the marine environment, coral reefs are home to more than 25% of all known marine fish species. With more than 27% of coral reefs already destroyed, and the potential to lose most of our world’s corals within the next 30 years, we must act now to protect and regenerate these critically important ecosystems before it’s too late.
Think global. Act local.
Global threats to coral reefs, such as coral bleaching, ocean acidification, and dead zones, must be dealt with by governments around the world. However, we as individuals can also do our part to protect reefs in the places we live and travel. In Krabi, Thailand, we will be working alongside local nonprofits, marine biologists, and businesses to combat the most direct problems facing local reefs
From land to sea
What happens on land can impact marine environments just as much as what happens in the sea. Healthy coastal ecosystems are a critical buffer of protection for communities of coral, marine animals, and even human beings. That’s why we’ll participate in mangrove restoration, seagrass conservation, and regenerative farming projects that aim to maintain a healthy connection between land and sea.
Scuba Marine Conservation Itinerary
Trip Commencement: Say goodbye to your GIVE family in Laos, and then dive into the next phase of the adventure with your fellow scuba volunteers! Check into your new accommodations, enjoy a welcome dinner, and get to know your new guides!
Orientation & Rock Climbing: Jump straight into a Mindful Movement Rock Climbing course while scaling some of the best limestone routes in the world! Whether you’re a true beginner or a seasoned climber, the skills covered will make you a more confident, capable, and conscious climber while also including breathing techniques to improve your performance underwater.
Days 3-5 (5 Dives)
PADI Open Water Certification: Begin your PADI Open Water Course with a day in the pool learning fundamental skills and how to use your equipment under the direct supervision of a PADI Instructor. Spend the next two days honing your skills and knowledge while diving with your instructor and fellow students off the Aonang Coast. After five dives, you will officially be certified as a PADI Open Water Diver for life!
Note: you will be required to complete the Open Water Theory portion of your course via the PADI eLearning portal prior to your trip. We will send you those details prior to your trip.
Mangrove Ecology & Conservation: Start the day by kayaking through Koh Klang’s thick mangroves, stopping along the way to explore a large limestone cave. After lunch, we’ll volunteer on a locally run mangrove restoration and awareness project. Learn which species can grow in different tidal areas, how to plant them, and monitor their survival.
Seagrass & Dugong Conservation: Join our marine biologist guide to learn about the seagrass ecosystem and the importance of its conservation and relationship with the Dugong (similar to a manatee). We start our day by learning about the characteristics of the seagrass, the different species in the area, and their intimate interaction with the elusive Dugong. After lunch at a local restaurant, we’ll head to our seagrass nursery, and conservation area to participate in research and community-based conservation projects.
Coral Propagation Course: Engage in workshops focused on Coral Reef Ecology, Coral Biology, and Reef First Aid and Coral Propagation Techniques. You will gain a deeper understanding of the state of our world’s coral reefs, the science behind our propagation techniques, and how to employ them correctly. You will actively propagate coral fragments and scuba dive through coral nurseries, while participating in nursery maintenance, monitoring, and development projects.
Day 9 (2 Dives)
Reef First Aid and Monitoring Course: During this course, you will learn the techniques to correctly identify and fix the most common types of coral damage encountered while SCUBA diving, how to correctly remove discarded fishing equipment from the reefs without damaging the existing organisms, and various methods to conduct reef health surveys. You will then go on two SCUBA dives to put these skills into practice and conduct reef health surveys! All data collected will be sent to our partners to support scientific research.
Day 10 (2 Dives)
Fun Dives off the Aonang Coast: After an epic week of gaining the knowledge, skills, certifications, and hands-on experience to help protect the ocean, it’s time to really enjoy it! We’ll head into the Andaman Sea for two dives amongst the incredible marine life, coral formations, and limestone cliffs off the Aonang coast. After dinner, we’ll gather for one final night of reflection and celebration with your new GIVE family!
Trip end: All good things must come to an end, but your new friends, memories, and skills will be with you forever. Say your goodbyes and begin the journey back home or on to your next adventure.
Extend Your Trip
Southeast Asia Packages
SAVE $600-$1,500 BY COMBINING SOUTHEAST ASIA PROGRAMS AND TRAVEL FOR 2-7-WEEKS! Mix and match our THAILAND Volunteer Excursion, LAOS volunteer Excursion, ELEPHANT EXPERIENCE add-on AND/OR Thailand SCUBA Excursion!
Volunteer in Thailand with GIVE and immerse yourself in Thai culture and remote hill-tribe villages as you work alongside host community members on our organic farming, reforestation and English education projects. Learn more about GIVE's Thailand Volunteer Trip!!
GIVE’s Elephant Experience Add-on takes you trekking deep into the Thailand jungle for a unique, eye-opening experience with these gentle giants while learning about elephant conservation. Learn more about GIVE's Elephant Experience Add-On!
GIVE’s Laos volunteer trip takes you into the heart Laos for an authentic cultural experience filled with adventure. Volunteer alongside host community members on permaculture, English education projects, and more. Learn more about GIVE's Laos Volunteer Trip!
GIVE’s Scuba Marine Conservation Add-on takes you to breathtaking Southern Thailand to get PADI Open Water Scuba Certified and dive amongst incredible marine life while engaging on marine conservation projects. Learn more about GIVE's Scuba Marine Conservation Add-On!
Trip Dates & Fees
Reserve your spot today with a deposit of $450 for a volunteer trip and $250 for add-ons. All deposits are INCLUDED in the total trip cost. There are multiple package options with our Thailand and Laos trips: Mix and match up to four unique Southeast Asia adventures to travel for 2-7-weeks!
Southeast Asia Trips & Packages Save $600 - $1500!
Thailand I Laos I Elephant Experience I Scuba Conservation
Past volunteers get a $250 discount!
Thailand Volunteer Excursion. 14-days.
14-days I $2,795 I Package & Save!
December 12, 2022 - December 23, 2023
December 27, 2022 - January 7, 2023
May 2 - May 15, 2023
May 20 - June 2, 2023
June 7 - June 20, 2023
June 25 - July 8, 2023
July 13 - July 26, 2023
July 29 - August 9, 2023 *Ages 16-17
Laos Volunteer Excursion. 14-days.
14-days I $2,595 I Package & Save!
Laos December 23, 2022 - January 3, 2023
Laos January 7, 2022 - January 18, 2023
Laos May 16 - May 29, 2023
Laos June 3 - June 16, 2023
Laos June 21 - July 4, 2023
Laos July 9 - July 22, 2023
Thailand Volunteer + Elephant Experience. 21 days.
21-days I $4,790 I Package & Save!
May 2 – May 22, 2023
May 20 – June 9, 2023
June 7 – June 27, 2023
June 25 – July 15, 2023
July 13 – August 2, 2023
July 29 – August 16, 2023 *Ages 16-17
Thailand Volunteer + Laos Volunteer. 28-days. Save $600!
28-days I $4,790 I Save $600!
December 12 - January 3, 2023
December 27 - January 18, 2023
May 2 - May 29, 2023
May 20 - June 16, 2023
June 7 - July 4, 2023
June 25 - July 22, 2023
Thailand Scuba Excursion. 11 days.
11 Days I $2,595 I Package & Save!
May 23 - June 2, 2023
June 10 - June 20, 2023
Thailand Scuba + Laos Volunteer. 25 days. Save $200!
25 Days I $4,990 I Package & Save!
May 22 - June 15, 2023
June 9 - July 3, 2023
Thailand Scuba + Elephant Experience. 25 days.
18 Days I $4,590 I Package & Save!
May 23 - June 9, 2023
June 10 - June 27, 2023
Thailand + Elephants + Scuba. 32 days. Save $1,000!
32 days I $6,385 I Save $1,000!
May 2 - June 2, 2023
May 20 - June 20, 2023
Thailand + Elephants + Scuba + Laos. 46 days. Save $2,000!
46-days I $7,980 I Save $2,000!
May 2 - June 15, 2023
May 20 - July 3, 2023
See whats included below!
GIVE goes above and beyond for our volunteers, before, during, and after their trip. Dive into all that's included here.
- Our core staff are well-traveled individuals and experts in the travel industry. Over the past 11 years, GIVE has brought over 7,000 participants to 12 diverse destinations all over the world.
- A commitment to responsible, culturally immersive travel with perpetual efforts to identify and exceed best practices in community development, inclusion, and engagement. A keen understanding of the impact these trips have, not only in our host communities but through fostering global citizenship amongst our participants.
- Thorough risk management and mitigation planning and practices. The health and safety of our volunteers, staff, and local host communities are our top priority.
- Advanced customer service that exceeds industry standards. GIVE has a unique full-service 24/7 commitment to our travelers. We have a long, proud history of going above and beyond to ensure our travelers are not only safe while on our trips, but also during the travel process of arriving at our various destinations. We approach any issues or misfortunes with diligent, pragmatic care. This often leads us to exceed what would be considered “normal” customer service. Whether it’s helping first-time travelers navigate their layovers, working with concerned parents, or navigating a pandemic. It is who we are as an organization and as people. Simply put: we care.
- 360-travel support, including customer care, trip preparation materials, and planning for your trips. GIVE offers a personalized Volunteer Profile to organize your trip, flight bookings, insurance, payments, and all necessary documents and pre-travel arrangements.
- As a people-first organization, our actions and response to the pandemic and over the past 11-years are a testament of how much we care for our volunteers, people, and host communities.
- Trip planning and on-ground trip logistics: dedicated and experienced local and GIVE guides, all accommodations during your trip (with security and basic amenities), ground and water transportation within your host country(s), meals throughout your stay (country-specific exceptions), your epic adventure and cultural immersion activities, funding toward volunteer projects, drinking water 24/7
- And that's just scratching the surface. See all that's included in your GIVE trip here!
Honestly, pretty much everything outside of pre and post-trip logistics is included, but GIVE and our travel partners will support you! Dive into what's included here.
- Flights to and from Thailand/Laos, along with associated air taxes, ticket fees, and any country entry/exit taxes
- Medical and Travelers Insurance
- Passport and visa (specific to your host citizenship)
- Vaccinations (specific to your host country)
- Souvenirs and Snacks (because everyone has different snack expectations;)
- What's better is what IS included. See all that's included in your GIVE trip here!