Nicaragua Trip Length: 13 Days, Cost: $2295
Here’s a glimpse into all that awaits you in Nicaragua
Sandboard down an active volcano | Teach English to local children & teens | Surf, kayak & paddleboard in the Pacific | Build homes for families displaced by rising sea-levels | Camp on the summit of Telica volcano | Restore mangrove forests
Trip Commencement: Meet your GIVE team leaders at the Managua airport and head to your new beachfront home, a small fishing village on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua!
Start your day off with an orientation about the community that you will call home for the next 10 nights. After learning all about the projects and community you will be working with you will then head out on a boat ride through the mangrove forest and plant your own mangrove trees!
Wake up each day to the sound of waves crashing on the beach. After breakfast, we’ll begin work on our English education and eco-friendly infrastructure projects. Volunteer until lunchtime and then relax on the beach for a couple hours before returning to the project site for the rest of the afternoon. In the late afternoon, we’ll wrap up volunteer work and take part in a variety of adventure and cultural immersion activities: playing soccer with locals on the beach, learning to speak Spanish, making traditional Nicaraguan dishes, salsa dancing, surfing, paddle boarding, or just chilling in paradise. During certain times of the year youʻll also be able to release baby sea turtles into the Pacific!
Climb to the top of Cerro Negro, the youngest, most active volcano in Central America, and look out upon the expansive green landscape below. Feel the tremors and radiating heat atop the volcanic arc before strapping in and gliding across black volcanic sand all the way to the bottom! Head back to our host community for one final night of celebration. Learn some Salsa moves and dance the night away with your new local friends!
Hike through the forest on your way to the summit of Telica Volcano. We’ll enjoy a delicious dinner as the sun sets over the Pacific Ocean and camp beneath the stars near the volcanic rim. After waking up to a spectacular sunrise, we’ll make our way to the city of Leon to visit some historic cathedrals, sample local street food, and practice Spanish while bargaining for souvenirs. Close out your last day in Nicaragua hiking up Masaya Volcano after the sun sets to see a glowing molten lava lake inside the crater! From there it’s back to Managua for one final night of reflection and celebration with your new GIVE family.
Trip End: All good things must come to an end, but these memories and friendships will last forever. Soak up your last few hours in Nicaragua before heading home, OR join GIVE’s Caribbean SCUBA Reef Conservation Program!
**THIS IS A SAMPLE ITINERARY WHICH IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
- All accommodations within Nicaragua, which have access to basic amenities and security
- All group transportation within Nicaragua
- All meals throughout your stay (country specific exceptions)
- All of your epic adventure and cultural immersion activities
- Funding for volunteer projects
- Drinking water 24/7
What’s Not Included?
- Flights to/from Nicaragua, along with associated air taxes, ticket fees, and any country entry/exit taxes.
- Medical and Travelers insurance
- Passport and visa (specific to your citizenship)
- Vaccinations (specific to host country)
Extend Your Stay in Nicaragua & scuba dive in the Caribbean!
SCUBA: Reef Conservation Add-on
Trip Length: 12 days Cost: $2495
- Complete 14 dives in the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean while building artificial reefs, implanting native coral species and conducting underwater surveys on sharks, sea turtles and other marine life.
- Make the ocean your classroom and earn your PADI Open Water, Coral Reef Ecology and Ecological Monitoring certifications.
- Immerse yourself in the Caribbean culture of Little Corn Island and work with local children to protect their surrounding environment.